9.26.2007

Don't Punch Your Waiter In the Gut


For quite awhile now, I’ve been really skirting around Paul’s writings, much of which offer as much confusion as clarification for me. That said, I’ve been doing some thinking on Romans 7 & 8 lately and may have started to make some connections in my head with what he’s talking about.

Us westerners tend to think more in line with Greek philosophy. But the problem is that the Bible is written mainly with a Hebraic way of thinking. By way of example, westerners tend to describe things in lists and charts. We like bullet points, power points, and for our speakers to be on point. Hebrews, however, will tend more towards concrete examples or metaphors to describe concepts.

The more important distinction for our discussion is how they think of eternal life. Greeks tend to see eternal life as something apart from this physical world that begins after you die. For Hebrews, however, eternal life is much more something that begins here on earth through living a life according to God’s rhythm and purpose.

This is why Jesus can say, in John 17:3, “Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.” Notice He doesn’t say that eternal life is going to heaven after you die. For a Greek thinker Jesus’ definition doesn’t make much sense, but it fits right in line with how Hebrews think of eternal life. This is also why, when asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus responds “What is written in the Law?” (Luke 10:26). Jesus wasn’t trying to be cute or clever here. It’s just that he was speaking from a Hebraic viewpoint.

So this is why the law isn’t a bad thing but rather a good thing; because eternal life is so closely connected to following God’s law. God gave us laws because he loves us and wants us to live life “to the full” (John 10:10). If we weren’t given the law (both in written word and in conscience), we wouldn’t know right from wrong and we’d never be able to experience that ‘eternal life’ here on earth except by random chance. We might tip our waiter for the good service, but then again we’d be just as likely to punch him in the gut.

I think it’s important to realize at this point that Paul uses the word “law” to mean different things. We should be careful not to assume not to, whenever we read that word, assume Paul is not talking specifically about the 613 commands in the Old Testament. For example, in Romans 7 & 8 the word “law” might better be understood as “controlling power.” So, for example, in Romans 8:2 Paul says “through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.” If you replace the word “law” there with “Torah” (first 5 books of the Bible) it doesn’t make much sense. But if you replace it with “controlling power” it all falls together.

So, anyway, it’s better to have the law than to not have it. But having the law isn’t as good as it could be due to our sinful nature. Once we were given the law, that gave our sinful nature something to rebel against (see Romans 7:8). And so we’re stuck with the problem of knowing what the right thing to do is but, paradoxically, not wanting to do it (see Romans 7:19).

So how does Christ fit into this then? It seems to me that what He did was take away from the equation the condemnation for disobedience. This doesn’t affect the law per se but what it does is weakens our sinful nature in that it no longer has the motivation to rebel simply for rebelling sake (see Romans 8:1-2). It’s the difference between driving a car while your under age (exciting and dangerous) and driving after you’ve gotten your license (neither exciting nor dangerous).

OK, so for all of my Greek friends out there, here’s a list…

1. God gave us laws that we might have eternal life
2. Sin sprung up and began rebelling within us giving rise to condemnation rather than life
3. Jesus takes away the condemnation weakening sins power
4. Now we have a law (that is a “controlling power”) that offers life rather than death

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Brodie,
Came over from carm to check out your blog.
In reference to Westerners thinking as Greeks I don't doubt that there is alot of influence. But I don't think you can apply that to the writers of the New Testament as they were Jews who were rooted firmly in Judaism and Hebraic thought.

I've seen this said before and I don't understand why people try to attribute Platonic influence to the Apostles. Wouldn't you think that they would carry over the Hebrew influence from the Old Testament rather than from the Greek cuture? Besides they were teaching what Jesus taught them--why would He be subject to Greek concepts?

The Jn. 17:3 verse says absolutely nothing about works of the law. i don't how you can link it to the other verse.
BTW, I am presently teaching the book of romans at our mid-week men's Bible study and i'm convinced that istead of jumping in at Chapters 7&8 it would be better to star at chapter 1 and read through because Paul sets up the whole justification by law or faith discussion there.
dave

brodie said...

Dave,

Thanks for reading. I think you misunderstood me. I'm not at all saying that Paul was stuck in a greek way of thinking. I'm saying that, like Jesus, he was very much a Hebrew (not that he didn't have a good working knowledge of both), which isn't how most people read him.

As for John 17:3, I was just trying to make a point about the phrase, "eternal life."

And as for your Romans study. Good luck, friend. It's been awhile since I wrote this but it's still a pretty intimidating book!

Anonymous said...

Brodie,
Thanks for our quick reply. I Didn't see the date of your post but I guess these are 'timeless truths' so we can still discuss them, right?

Really enjoying the Romans study . At the rate we're going we should be done by '09 or '10. Lots of good discussion.

I thought you were trying to say that we are saved by 'works' or something along that line. Anyway, I do not agree with Mclaren's interpretation of 'eternal life' as he states it in his book-The Secret Message of Jesus. He says that it can mean the same thing as 'Kingdom of God' and that is just not true. I'm not sure if you agree with this point of view or if you have something else in mind.
Could you elaborate as I didn't pick it up in your OP?
Dave

brodie said...

Dave,

Well, I'll have to look you up in 2010 so you can explain Romans to me. :)

Well, I certainly wouldn't suggest that we are saved by works. I was trying to avoid that notion when I said, "It seems to me that what [Christ] did was take away from the equation the condemnation for disobedience."

As far as "eternal life" meaning the same thing as "kingdom of God", I don't know that there the same but I'm pretty sure that they aren't entirely different. I think there are at least 2 aspects to both of those phrases - one that begins with and is a part of this world here and now, and another that is concerned with what happens after we die. In their earthly aspects, I think there's a degree of overlap (and in their "spiritual" aspects as well I suppose).

I think the fact that you brought up salvation illustrates that I must not have made my point as well as I'd hoped. Part of the point was that when the Bible discusses eternal life, the kingdom, or the law, it's not always talking about salvation.

brodie said...

Dave,

For some more of my thoughts on the phrase "eternal life" I've written about it some more on my blog here. It's from 11/2006 called "Does Jesus know what Eternal Life is?" That might help you a bit if figuring out what I'm saying.

-Brodie